I love so many things about December.
Not just because of the holidays, or the fact that I have a birthday in the month…but mostly because:
- It’s the end of the year and I can clean out my files to get myself ready for the next year (how lame am I?).
- I can finally wear boots with EVERYTHING and it works.
- It’s when I start cooking big pots of soups, stews and chili’s again, which can feed me (and 6-7 others) for about 4 days with no complaints.
- I can walk down any street and see sparkly lights Everywhere.
- I get to put all of my stupid old nicknacks away and put out a totally new bunch of stupid nicknacks (called decorations in December) all around the house.
- I get to drink buckets of that incredible creamy yellow drink – Egg Nog.
- I get to drink lots of Rum…in my Egg Nog (OK, I drink it the other 11 months as well, but not in creamy yellow drinks).
- I can eat a handful of sugar cookies decorated in colored icing and covered with sprinkles and silver coated chocolate balls…and it doesn’t count as carbs (for the whole damn month).
- I finally get to use up that damn red & gold wrapping paper I got in bulk at Cosco 3 years ago (which I buy again every 3 years).
- I get to buy way too much crap for my kids and I don’t feel like I’m spoiling them.
- I get to go to a great movie on my birthday, because there are always great movies out for the holidays (but my mom told me they were actually releasing great movies just for my birthday).
- I get to see my kids get all giddy and silly (still) with all the Xmas traditions we’ve been doing for years (while creating new ones as we go).
- I get to dote on my family all month long.
- I get to kiss my man at the very minute the month turns into a brand new year.
The way it feels. I like the early nightfall and the Christmas lights downtown. I like picking out gifts for the people I love. I like the cookies and chili and logs of cheese. I like sitting with my family and laughing my ass off.
I like it when the snow falls.
Except it’s NOT FREAKING SNOWING THIS YEAR. We had a light dusting last Friday, but NOTHING ELSE.
And if it’s not snowing, then I have a hard time getting in the Holiday Spirit.
There’s also another reason: I recently started working in RETAIL, and let me tell you, nothing sucks the Holiday Spirit out of you faster than getting yelled at for things you have no control over.
So, between the ridiculous warm, snowless weather, and long hours at a customer service desk, this December has been a little bit… lacking.
But it DID snow a little bit on Friday. And suddenly, I was excited.
I wanted it to be Christmas morning.
I wanted to wear new pajamas and sit on the floor in front of my mom’s fire place drinking hot cocoa and smelling french toast in the oven.
(Oh, Mom: I’m gonna need some new pajamas, the fire place on, hot cocoa and french toast next week.)
The snow made me all anxious and jittery and feel like a little kid again.
So I took my tiny little fake tree out of it’s cardboard tube and covered it with tiny little ornaments.
I got excited to wrap the presents and put them next to the tiny little tree. (<— I still haven’t done this. My drive to procrastinate eclipses my excitement when busy work is involved.)
I wanted a god damn candy cane.
And that’s? What I love about December.